Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Touchy, touchy!

Is everyone in the world just WAY less gross than I am or are touchscreen computers as awful an idea as I think they are?

I'm not a Luddite. I am happy to embrace new technology when I encounter it, but look... my screen is disgusting enough with me NOT touching it. I seriously thought a guy had a mole in the middle of his forehead scrolling through my Facebook feed tonight... until I scrolled a little more and then realized there is just a mole on my monitor.

Every year around Black Friday, I fantasize about getting a new laptop to replace the one I got 4 years ago that has no backspace key, that overheats in 10 minutes of being on, that randomly scrolls through page after page without any movement from me when it is in a bad mood, but if all of the laptops currently available are ALL touchscreen, I just cannot picture myself buying one.

And that is because... I have pictured myself using one.
I spend a lot of time on my computer, so it is not uncommon for me to be eating something while computing, or picking my nose, or. . . Look, lord knows where my fingers have been or what is on them when I am using a computer, okay? I wash my hands a lot, but I'm totally not getting up to wash my hands after eating an eclair while watching shows on Project Free TV so I can stop the video to obsessively check my email or whatever.

Beyond having to place your mouth or genitals on your monitor to use your computer, I cannot think of a worse design. So, is this working for people? Or do you all just have Cheetos dust covered, sticky, nasty monitors? Or am I just really really gross?




5 comments:

  1. Nope, you're right, they're kind of gross. Even if you do wash your hands every time you use the damn thing (and yes, I did for a while before I gave up), there's still naturally occurring grease on your fingers that builds up on the screen after a while. I use one of those stylus thingys. It's more accurate anyway, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't gotten over the face cheese that builds up on my cell phone. Plus, how would I be able to holler at my son daily to stop touching the monitor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, being forced to switch to that scares me. Mine computer is usually a big giant mess. The touch mouse on my laptop has a giant white spot where the silver is all worn off-- surely this does not bode well for a touchscreen future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way, until my work got tablets for the sales force. "Here! Use these in stores!" I hated that thing for a good 8 months, and now I use it more than I use any device.

    ...unless I have to type.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My laptop has a touchscreen, but I don't really use it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...