Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A.A.A.D.D.


Dearest parents (especially mother), you should either not read this or, if you insist upon doing so, you should take a lot of illicit date rape sorts of drugs before reading this so you don't recall it and never discuss it with me. Let's go with never reading it, okay? Awesome. 


I'm not kidding either. 
Okay, on to the post ...


I was just reminded, when the boy I had a crush on in middle school added me on Facebook, that I was a fucking psycho when I was a teenager.  I think I owe pretty much everyone with a penis (who was not an immediate member of my family) that I knew from the ages of 11- 19 a major apology.  See, when I say "the" boy I had a crush on, I mean ONE of the 7 billion boys I had a crush on, but  definitely the one I spent the most time terrorizing, from my recollection. No, wait, the one I spent the most time terrorizing in eighth grade, and also part of 7th. I terrorized the hell out of a bunch of guys. I had a problem... we shall refer to it as attention and affection deficit disorder (AAADD).
I was  really bad, as a teenager, at ascertaining when someone was attracted to me. That is, people for the most part, weren't attracted to me, but if they were willing to make eye contact with me, or respond to me when I spoke and I found them even the remotest bit attractive, I was pretty sure they were in love with me. Or maybe it was that I was pretty sure I was in love with them, and any modicum of attention convinced me that the feeling was mutual or could, through repeated pestering and writing of REALLY bad poetry, be cultivated.

If you could imagine Chris Farley.. hell, you don't have to imagine. Here is a clip.


Yes, that was me, only quite a bit cuter. But the thing is, there was no chance of me having any sort of normal relationship with anyone at that time because responding to me was enough to set me off in a pattern of psychotic smothering attention. If I could just get my foot in the proverbial door, they were sure to adore the ever loving shit out of me... but the reality of it was, they were more than likely terrified of me, because my attention was fairly terrifying. And that was when I wasn't thinking of anything more than just holding hands and pop kisses.  I was probably about 42 times more terrifying when I was trying to seduce every male who interacted with me, not excluding my 9th grade Math substitute, some weird French guy who owned a leather furniture design company who may have been in his late 40s, my best friend, who was a male (the poor guy), C.B. Barnes, and our 25 year old neighbor.

Of course, people who WERE actually attracted to me, I was oblivious of.  If they approached me first, I was suspicious and bitchy.  Yup, bitchy is the word for what I was, in that it is a word that doesn't start with a C that would probably be a better word for how I acted, but people seem to have an aversion to that word for some reason that I am unable to fathom. Anyway, I mean that I was a jerk version of crazy when I wasn't being otherwise crazy and writing, have I mentioned, REALLY horrible poetry... like the kind where each line starts with a letter of the boy's name, and which I carefully calligraphized on floofy purple stationary that I might have rubbed on a perfume sample page of a beauty magazine so he knew it was from a girl and that I then stuck in his locker. After I stalked him and saw that he had seen the poem and hadn't come running to confess his love for me, though he was one of the most sought after boys in school and I had no concept of "out of your league,"  I then carefully extracted said horrible purple calligraphied poem out of his locker while pretending to go to the bathroom, so that it couldn't be used to humiliate me any worse than I had already done myself. Wait that wasn't clear. I meant, I asked my teacher to go to the bathroom so I could stop by his locker and go mission impossible on it, not that I was pretending to pee while I was shoving my fingers through the air holes of the locker to get the embarrassing fucking thing out.

Anyway, yeah, sorry boys, and maybe some girls too, for making you uncomfortable and for being unable to handle having female hormones. I'm much more balanced now, though I am still prone to bouts of adult AAADD... I am just aware of things like restraining orders and mace now, so I have toned it down and there is nothing to be afraid of. And also sorry for the poem. You didn't deserve that. Nobody deserves that... nobody.



11 comments:

  1. I thought those were fluffy Ugg boots and some sort of pink scarf thing on your khaki pants, but nope-- it's your pants pulled down. Bad sentence structure has pulled down my pants before, too.

    I'm sorry about your teen AAADD, I'm sure there is a support group out there. And hopefully they have their pants on.

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, I am married now and my husband takes the brunt of my smothering.

      p.s. You're the first person I get to reply to using a real reply system. Whew hew!

      Delete
  2. I love your drawings - who cares about sentence structure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone recently said that the only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. We've all had our moments- thanks for reminding me that we should laugh about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one of the main reasons I stay married is so I don't have to deal with my inability to function in the dating world.

    Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I only ever wrote one "I like you" letter. I think. the response was enough to keep me from writing any more. Not that he was mean. just not interested. But yeah, I had the same affliction. I just handled it differently. I kept all my bad poetry to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not a very quick learner in the rejection realm. I caught on when I was about 19. ;)

      Delete
  6. Ummmm, yeah, pretty sure everyone has been there. For instance, even after she asked to kiss me, I still did not comprehend that she was totes a lesbian and only friends with me cuz she wanted in my pants. And then the one guy I fixated on in high school I pseudo-conned into kissing me. TALK ABOUT AWKWARD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post. I was the opposite. I had very few crushes and would avoid them at all cost to spare me from embarrassment of saying something stupid. I found out one of my crushes did like me. He said he would come sit at my lunch table and I would get up and leave! So sad! He felt I was out of his league, too. I was sad when he asked someone else out to the prom even tho we never hung out or anything so.. Woe is the teenage girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the best picture EVER. I giggled.
    I used to do things like that too. We had drawers in our classroom when I was 8 years old and I stuck a letter in the drawer of the boy I liked. It wasn't poetry, it was a smutty confession covered in pictures of badly-drawn genitalia. I was a kinda messed up kid, thank goodness I didn't sign it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I once mailed an unsigned poem to a boy. We where good friends, I don't think he ever figured out it was me. I had almost forgotten about that. lol. Thanks Jodee, for bring back embarrassing memories! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...